Saturday, February 23, 2013

LEARNING TO LIVE A NEW LIFESTYLE!! AND HOW TO GET THE REST OF YOUR CLAN TO FOLLOW!?!

THE LIFESTYLE OF HIGH-TECH IMMERSION AND JUNK-FOOD NUTRITION IS A DIFFICULT LIFE TO LEAVE FOR ANY HUMAN, BUT WHEN YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE THIS LIFESTYLE HOW DO YOU CONVINCE YOUR FAMILY TO JOIN THE JOURNEY?  

Most of us know that reducing our "carbon footprint" is the "right" thing to do.  Most of us know that eating whole foods, organically produced without genetic modification is better for the environment and our health. Most us know we should exercise everyday in some form or the other.  The list goes on....and on...and...Well, you get the point.  

  I've seen the paradigm countless times as a Registered Nurse.  We have countless patients that come to the ER on the brink of death with totally preventable, chronic illnesses!  The diabetic patient in renal failure due to non-compliance with their diet or the patient in respiratory failure that just can't seem to quit smoking...the stories are endless.  We seem to be built with a static mechanism that prevents us from changing; even when the consequences are fatal.  

So, when we have a life-altering epiphany and we see a change must be made, how do we handle it? Do we file it away and take the familiar path of least resistance? Do we change subtly and "ween" ourselves into it?  Do we get fired-up and become an activist, committed to changing ourselves and the World? 

 I know the struggle to change my own lifestyle has been a huge hurtle!  I had the epiphany, I know the path I MUST take!  I've dabbled in educating myself and others!  I've made little changes here and there!  I've battled with this for a few years now and made multiple relapses into old patterns with a myriad of excuses!  It's hard enough to change my own behaviors, let alone try to sell my family on the idea of change?   I can't think of many 12 year old boys that want to harvest wild herbs with mom instead of playing Call of Duty online with friends and can't think of many nine year old boys that want to give up McDonald's for salads and granola.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to make the sell!  Slowly but surely the conversion will happen, I'm just that dang stubborn!

No comments:

Post a Comment